Opera Scouts and Madrigals
Opera Scouts and Madrigals
Discover Opera. Discover the World. Discover Yourself.
Celebrating individual achievement within a supportive ensemble, Opera Scouts provides an artistic, social, career and developmental home for youth who are passionate about the performing arts. Scouts meet weekly for training, activities, projects, rehearsals and trips to local performances.
For younger students, we're delighted to offer Madrigals! Weekly meetings will focus on folk songs, composition, storytelling and performance skills in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
Explore our virtual choirs, operas, and projects here!
Who It's For
Opera Scouts: Students ages 12–18. While most students are vocal performers, we welcome actors, dancers, designers, composers, writers and multimedia artists interested in live performance.
Madrigals: Students ages 7-11. This is a perfect opportunity for young artists who enjoy singing and are curious about opera and/or musical theater. Learn what musical storytelling is all about.
Weekly meetings run September through May on Monday afternoons, plus additional optional outings and events.
San Francisco Opera and other local venues.
Opera Scouts: $600 annual fee, plus minimal costs for extra events.
Madrigals: $450 annual fee, plus minimal costs for extra events.
Scholarships are available for qualifying students.
Information for Applicants
Applications accepted on an ongoing basis for these programs throughout the academic year. An interview and audition will be scheduled upon receipt of application. For more information, contact Caroline Altman at 415-565-3238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts are trained in skills promoting better communication, confidence, integrity and conflict management. As they advance through the program, they become eligible to be student conflict mediators at their schools.
- Guest Speakers and Master Classes. Each meeting has a specific area of learning enhanced by master classes and expert guest speakers.
- Merit Badges. Each Scout plans a project in the arts and works toward this project for 4-6 weeks, receiving a Merit Badge upon completion.
- Opera and Theater Trips. Scouts attend San Francisco Opera dress rehearsals, as well as student performances and concerts at other Bay Area venues. Additional ticket fees may apply.
- Auditions. Scouts gain access to audition, competition, internship and job placement opportunities. Scouts receive special preparation and support for audition success.
- Performance. Scouts participate in recitals, performance showcases and community outreach opportunities throughout the year.
- Leadership. Scouts help plan events and reach out to partnering arts and community organizations.
- Conflict Resolution. Scouts are trained in conflict resolution through the arts, enabling them to become conflict mediators at their schools.