Final Performance is December 3
NEW SAN FRANCISCO OPERA PRODUCTION
By Giuseppe Verdi
November 11–December 3, 2022
Starting at $31
Approximately 3 hours, including two intermissions
Sung in Italian with English supertitles
Francesco Maria Piave
Her love was never for sale.
Fame. Power. Fortune. Violetta Valéry has it all as Paris’ most admired courtesan. But never has she allowed herself to experience true love. All that changes when a naive young man enters her Paris salon and offers her a romance full of tenderness and compassion. But can their love ever be free from the social stigmas of her past?
Music Director Eun Sun Kim leads the San Francisco Opera Orchestra and chorus in Shawna Lucey's sumptuous new vision of Verdi's masterpiece—the first new production of La Traviata built by San Francisco Opera's own craftspeople since 1987.
See a Performance
Secure Your Place In History
Subscribe to secure the best seats at the best prices and experience the Centennial Season as a valued member of the San Francisco Opera family.
There was no place for love in Violetta Valéry’s life as a popular Paris courtesan. But then Alfredo Germont walked into her salon—turning both of their worlds upside down.
Audio excerpts are from the 2009 production of La Traviata with the San Francisco Opera Orchestra conducted by Sir Donald Runnicles.
- “Ah, fors’è lui”/Anna Netrebko;
- “Madators’ Chorus/San Francisco Opera Men’s Chorus;
- “De’ miei bollenti spiriti”/Charles Castronovo;
- “Di Provenza il mar, il suol”/Dwayne Croft;
- Chorus of Fortune-Tellers/San Francisco Opera Women’s Chorus;
- “Libiamo”/Charles Castronovo and the San Francisco Opera Chorus;
- “Un dì felice”/Charles Castronovo