Responsible for assisting with all operations pertaining to the Wardrobe Department and the preparation of costumes for all stage use, in the theater and other locations as determined by management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working within a large running Wardrobe Department
- Personal Dresser or Key Dresser experience
- Experience with running large productions in repertory
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performances is present
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have reliable daily attendance and punctuality
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with team members, guest artists, designers, company members, patrons, and volunteers in a professional, confidential, and tactful manner
- Communicate clearly and efficiently both orally and in writing
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe efficient manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft, Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Complete work within a tight limited schedule to meet firm deadlines
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and exercise good judgment an initiative
- Ability to organize work crew of 5 or more people.
- Able to thrive in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multitask set priorities, and make quick decisions under pressure,
- Ability to operate and perform basic maintenance of, sewing machines, surger machines, and industrial irons
- Maintain a safe working environment in accordance with the SF Opera Policies and procedures, Injury and Illness Prevention Plan, House Rules, and Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Knowledge of period, fantasy, and contemporary costume construction, repair, fabrics, and crafting materials
- Must be or become member of IATSE TWU Local 784.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works collaboratively with all departments to ensure the smooth and efficient running of all wardrobe activities.
- Train and be able to operate the industrial laundry machines to be able to cover the position in the event of an emergency
- Maintains records of stock inventory and storage locations of wardrobe goods
- Provide daily summary of department actives, updates, changes, and requirements
- Participate in the orientation and training of wardrobe crew
- Assist to monitor compliance of the Union Working Rules and House Rules
- Attend meetings as required
- In conjunction with the Head of Wardrobe review the weekly schedule
- Attend all costume and production meetings for each production as assigned
- Attend dress rehearsals, and performances as required
- Familiarization with all upcoming productions
- Assist in establishing all required preparation and organization for the running of onstage rehearsals and performances
- Assist in development of the mechanics of costume quick changes, and dressing strategies as appropriate for a smooth operation when directed to do so by the Head of Wardrobe
- Coordination with wig and make-up department, stage management, props, electrics, for the set-up requirements and location quick change areas
- Assist in the supervision of all dressers required for all performances and daywork
- Reconcile with costume supervisor inventory and shipments on incoming productions
- Coordinating the laundry needs for each production with the Laundry Assistant
- Maintain current inventory, maintaining lists of items moving to/ from the costume studio, dry cleaners, and shoe repair
- Prepares and runs day work assignments and performance crews
- Assists in maintaining the artistic integrity of all costumes worn in performance
- Supervise the set up and inventory of costumes for each performance
- Arrange for the costuming of covers in the event of injury or illness
- Perform emergency repairs as needed
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- General office /work room maintenance assistance with ordering wardrobe supplies
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF